Takwoingi, Y, Partlett, C, Riley, R, Hyde, C and Deeks, JJ (2020) Methods and reporting of systematic reviews of comparative accuracy need improvement: a methodological survey and proposed guidance. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 121. pp. 1-14. ISSN 1878-5921

[thumbnail of Riley 2019 JCE AAM Methods and reporting characteristics of comparative reviews R2.pdf]
Riley 2019 JCE AAM Methods and reporting characteristics of comparative reviews R2.pdf - Accepted Version
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial No Derivatives.

Download (1MB) | Preview


Objective: To examine methodological and reporting characteristics of systematic reviews and meta-analyses which compare diagnostic test accuracy (DTA) of multiple index tests, identify good practice, and develop guidance for better reporting

Study design and setting: Methodological survey of 127 comparative or multiple tests reviews published in 74 different general medical and specialist journals. We summarised methods and reporting characteristics that are likely to differ between reviews of a single test and comparative reviews. We then developed guidance to enhance reporting of test comparisons in DTA reviews.

Results: Of 127 reviews, 16 (13%) reviews restricted study selection and test comparisons to comparative accuracy studies while the remaining 111 (87%) reviews included any study type. Fifty three reviews (42%) statistically compared test accuracy with only 18 (34%) of these using recommended methods. Reporting of several items—in particular the role of the index tests, test comparison strategy and limitations of indirect comparisons (i.e. comparisons involving any study type)—was deficient in many reviews. Five reviews with exemplary methods and reporting were identified.

Conclusions: Reporting quality of reviews which evaluate and compare multiple tests is poor. The guidance developed, complemented with the exemplars, can assist review authors in producing better quality comparative reviews.

Item Type: Article
Additional Information: This is the accepted author manuscript (AAM). The final published version (version of record) will be available online via Elsevier at https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2019.12.007 - please refer to any applicable terms of use of the publisher.
Uncontrolled Keywords: Comparative accuracy; Diagnostic accuracy; Test accuracy; Meta-analysis; Systematic review; Test comparison
Subjects: R Medicine > R Medicine (General)
Divisions: Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences > Primary Care Health Sciences
Depositing User: Symplectic
Date Deposited: 14 Oct 2019 11:24
Last Modified: 16 Jun 2021 09:18
URI: https://eprints.keele.ac.uk/id/eprint/7030

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item